Re: calipers or mikes

To: Peter Schauss x 2014 <ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov>
Subject: Re: calipers or mikes
From: pethier <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:34:55 -0500

                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> 10th of what?

When a machinist (in the USA, at least) says "a tenth", (s)he means "one
ten-thousandth of an inch".  One "tenth" = 0.0001 inch.  A machinist
would say "2.3572" as "two inches, three hundred and fifty-seven and two
tenths".

A precision-built micrometer in the same confiration as an ordinary "C"
micrometer can have a Vernier scale inscribed on the shank so that the
machinist can use the lines on the Vernier scale to line up with the
marks on the thimble to read "tenths".  The easiest way to understand
this is to get a machinist or tool seller to show it to you.

Other devices, both mechanical and electronic, can be used to read to
tenths.

What kind of jargon European machinists use for metric measurements, I
haven't a clue.  I get so confused trying to read a metric Vernier, I
use the English one instead, then reach for calculator.  :-)

By the way, I was convinced by an instructor that dial calipers are
unreliable, especially around chips.  I had a really nice 8" Mitatoyo
Vernier caliper, but I sold it years ago.  Now I get by with a cheap
General 6" Vernier caliper.  I'm not building engines...

Phil Ethier