Re: calipers, mikes and beyond

To: "Duncan120" <Duncan120@aol.com>, <ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov>,
Subject: Re: calipers, mikes and beyond
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 00:04:44 -0500

----------
> From: Duncan120 <Duncan120@aol.com>
> To: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov; shop-talk@autox.team.net
> Subject: calipers, mikes and beyond
> Date: Tuesday, April 14, 1998 4:26 PM
>

> In a message dated 98-04-14 16:17:20 EDT, ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov writes:
>
> << While we are on the subject of micrometers what are the
>  recommended brands? >>
>
> I consider Starrett the best, wide selection, very high quality, good
support
> etc.
> Also, probably, the most expensive. You really only need to buy them once
in
> your lifetime - if you don't lend them out!

Brown & Sharpe (or is that Browne & Sharp) are in the same class as
Starrett.

> Fowler, Mitsutoyo (sp), are good.

Mitutoyo, Mitatoyo, Mitotoyo?  However you spell it, they are very good.

> Maybe a step below are Central, Harbor
> freight and Enco brands.

A very large step, I'd say.  And I speak as someone who has had Starrett,
Browne & Sharp, Mitutoyo and Central tools.

Phil (no longer in the trade) Ethier
pethier@isd.net   Saint Paul MN USA
1970 Lotus 65 Europa Series 2
1987 VW Quantum Syncro