Shop Tools

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Shop Tools
From: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 15:23:47 -0400
So afraid I was going to owe the IRS this year.   So I made large quarterly
payments and just did my taxes and am actually getting some small fraction
of my money back.  So ... I was thinking that now would be a good time to
get two items that I always wish that I had.

The two I'd like to have most is a table model Milling machine and a bench
top type Lathe.
I would like to keep each under a $1000 if possible.  Anyone have any tips
on what features I should look for and or avoid in either item.  Any
suggestions or recommendations of particular sources would be appreciated.
First hand knowledge preferred, but all advice considered.

I've had a lot of experience with a South Bend lathe and limited time on a
Bridgeport Milling machine (vintage about 20 years ago at a previous
employer, it was sort of a perk to access to such tools when I needed them,
and I really miss them).   Will only see occasional use and mostly for
those non-available item repairs or the fiddly little bits one always needs
to modify because when you find something at the hardware store that you
think will work just right always needs a little modifying.

Thank for any help and opinions,  Nils