Re: Shop Tools

To: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Subject: Re: Shop Tools
From: pethier <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:27:47 -0500
Nils O. Ny wrote:

> I'm considering some of the smallest ones (Milling/Drilling machines) from
> Enco and two models from HF.  Seems for about an additional hundred bucks I
> can get several improvements over the base model.
> 1- is a 2HP motor and or 110/220 motor a big improvement?

Power is important, but rigidity is more important.  Most machines I
have seen will chatter before they run out of power.

> 2- is a 4-1/2 inch column very much superior to a 3-1/2 inch one?

Probably.  Rigidity is the porimary consideration in machine tools.

> 3- is a table travel of 12" sufficient or is 19-3/4 much better?

You will never wish you had bought a smaller travel.  You will often
wish you had a larger one.

> 4- HF has a heavy duty 2 HP model on sale for $899 which is very appealing
> as it appears to be about $300-$500 less than the comparable model from
> Enco (big table / long travel / heave column / 2HP motor)  but it weighs
> over 700 lbs

Remember what I said about rigidity?

>(probably costs a fortune to ship,

Harbor Freight (unless they have changed their policy) offers free
shipping to anywhere in the 48 States on purchases of $50 or more.

> and then how to they get it
> off the truck and how do I move this around to put it on top of the bench?

This is a bench-top machine?  You may have to rent a die lift to put it
on the bench.  (A substantial bench at that.)  Or consider this the
perfect time to put in that full-shop hoist system.  Maybe a
cherry-picker is the answer.  Car engines can weigh that much.

Phil