Re: RE: FIBERGLASS

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: RE: FIBERGLASS
From: BradFarr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 11:48:24 EST

In a message dated 11/12/98 7:09:37 AM, gerrybraz@voyager.net writes:

>Fiberglass is really not a good solution. Rust is like gangrene, it just
>keeps spreading. It will  spread inside of fiberglassed areas.  The best
>solution is to cut out the rusted area to really sound metal and weld new
>metal in.

I've got some rust in the floor pans of an Alfa Spyder. I had planned to clean
it up with a wire brush, and then treat with POR-15 rust remover and paint.
(This car is a  driver, not a concours restoration.)

Will this stop further rust in the affected area?

When I remove the rust, I realize that I may find some areas that have rusted
through. How large a hole (or Swiss cheese metal) is OK without welding in a
replacement panel? (Again my concern is preventing further damage and
maintaining structural integrity, not appearance for a concours judge.)

Thanks,
Brad