FW: FIBERGLASS

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: FW: FIBERGLASS
From: RCB2 <rcb2@bmscom.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:02:36 -0800
From: Ron Botting
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 1998 7:55 PM
Subject: RE: FIBERGLASS

Has anyone considered a fiberglass cloth with epoxy resin ? I understand
that epoxy similar to the Westec system (sp?) as used for marine
applications, sticks tenaciously to steel. Far superior that the
polyester resins used for regular fiberglass applications.

I have recently replaced loads of steel in the rear tub section of my
'57 TR3A, after I replace the steel in the wheel arches I'm going to
have the rear tub section chemically stripped as I did with my frame
last year, (or was that '96?). What I'm planning to do, is to reinforce
the rust free trunk floor with a cloth and epoxy resin.

I know the purists will cringe, I just feel that so much has been
replaced & patched that my '57 will never be a concourse contender, nor
am I restoring her with any show circuit in mind. I am, I might add,
extremely proud of my metal work re-fabricating both right and left
sides of the rear apron, a real exercise in metal forming !

rcb

Ron Botting
<rcb2@bmscom.ca>
Surrey. B.C. Canada