Re: Cool Tools

To: DBAVERY1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Cool Tools
From: Eric J Petrevich/LRM<inchman@prolog.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 05:39:59 -0500
DBavery1 asked me about my blast cabinet in private email, but I thought
that maybe others would like to hear a little tip that I use.

I have a cheap HF blast cabinet that I got a couple of years ago.

I am NOT at all happy with it.   It is to small and used to leak media all
over the place.
I have made modification to it...

First off, I made a lid frame with angle iron to keep the lid shut tight.
Then I welded up all the seems to prevent leakage.  I also added the light
kit (cur. HF)

As for blasting anything sizeable, I got a different kind of booth.  (I
don't think is would be easy to turn a wheel with one hand while you try to
blast it with the other.)
I went to a horse farm (we got tons of them here)  and found one with a old
horse trailer that couldn't be used for horses anymore.  They sold it to me
for $50.  Got it home, parked it behind the garage and, viola, instant
sandblast booth!

So far, it works great.  Media is easily recycled from the floor.  No
outside mess.  Big enough for motorcycle frames, body panels and other
large items.  Mine even has a light inside (which I had to convert from DC
to AC)

In retrospect, I would only buy another blast cabinet if I was going to get
a really GOOD one.  I'll pay the $500 for a real cabinet.  But for most of
the small stuff, my "modified" cabinet will work.  The big stuff goes
outside.
I also bought a sandblast hood in my last order, but I haven't gotten to
use it yet.

Inch
http://209.122.67.129/
(don't forget, I still have the Shop Talk file archives at my site.)