RE: separating aluminum and steel parts

To: "'Jack W Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: separating aluminum and steel parts
From: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@voyager.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:26:12 -0500
Uncle Jack have you tried using a penetrant called Kroil made by Kano
Chemical down in Tennessee? Best stuff I have ever used.

Squirt it on and let it set and soak. Heat up the head with a rosebud. Let
it cool and soak it again. Keep up this cycle for a week or so, heating it
whenever you think about it. DON'T RUSH!

After awhile, start heating each stud and either use two nuts or that fancy
Snap-On stud extractor and try to wiggle them back and forth. Do this for a
couple more weeks. Soak again after it has cooled enough not to boil the
Kroil off. DON'T RUSH.

After you do that for a couple of weeks, then take your rosebud and heat the
head near a stud and now try to extract it. If it doesn't come pretty
easily, stop and keep repeating steps one and two. DON'T RUSH.

Vibration also works wonders, but I'd be nervous about using an air chisel
on an aluminum head. If you could make an attachment to just vibrate the
stud with out screwing up the threads, this would help.

Hope you aren't't in any hurry to finish this project.

GJB