RE: separating aluminum and steel parts

To: "'Jack W Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: separating aluminum and steel parts
From: Ben/Pam Zwissler <zwissler@hsonline.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 22:15:30 -0500
>From: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@voyager.net>
>To: "'Jack W Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
>Subject: RE: separating aluminum and steel parts
>Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:26:12 -0500
>Sender: shop-talk-owner@autox.team.net
>

>Uncle Jack have you tried using a penetrant called Kroil made by Kano
>Chemical down in Tennessee? Best stuff I have ever used.

I second the recommendation on Kroil, good stuff.

>Squirt it on and let it set and soak. Heat up the head with a rosebud. Let
>it cool and soak it again. Keep up this cycle for a week or so, heating it
>whenever you think about it. DON'T RUSH!
>
>After awhile, start heating each stud and either use two nuts or that fancy
>Snap-On stud extractor and try to wiggle them back and forth. Do this for a
>couple more weeks. Soak again after it has cooled enough not to boil the
>Kroil off. DON'T RUSH.
>
>After you do that for a couple of weeks, then take your rosebud and heat the
>head near a stud and now try to extract it. If it doesn't come pretty
>easily, stop and keep repeating steps one and two. DON'T RUSH.

I also second this approach, repetitive heating and cooling and adding
penetrant during the cooling has worked for me.  Once you get the head off,
you'll have to get the pistons out.  A trick I've used on several 4-cylinder
TR engines is turn the block upside down and fill the bottoms of the pistons
up with Kroil and let it sit for several days.  This works much better than
filling the tops because the oil ring and any other expansion or oil slots
in the pistons let the penetrant in and help it get to the problem.  Heating
and cooling the piston will help too.   By the way, three days is nothing,
I've gone at this kind of problem for weeks.  If you're patient you can get
it all apart without breaking anything.  Start out letting everything soak a
few days between trials and then as things start to come apart you can try
every day.

>Vibration also works wonders, but I'd be nervous about using an air chisel
>on an aluminum head. If you could make an attachment to just vibrate the
>stud with out screwing up the threads, this would help.
>
>Hope you aren't't in any hurry to finish this project.

Rather than use an air chisel, I've used an impact wrench on a double nut or
welded nut on the stud.  Just let the impact wrench sit there and hammer
against the stud.  Eventually it will break things loose.  It is a little
hard on the impact wrench.

Good luck.....

Ben Zwissler, zwissler@hsonline.net
Columbus, Indiana