Re: Screwdriving

To: Ken Landaiche <ken.landaiche@dlcc.com>
Subject: Re: Screwdriving
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:22:31 -0800
>It seems to me (scratching his head) that contractors, who use a lot of
>screws, wouldn't have time for soaping the screws. Perhaps they don't
>try to drive 4" screws either! I'll bet the square drive screws,
>mentioned by a few, are the sort of contractor secret I'm looking for.

You can buy pre-coated screws; they are coated with some material (plastic?)
that melts as you drive them in, forming the lube.  The screws I mentioned
have this coating, and can be used with either the square drive or phillips.

>And on the subject of workbenches, do you like the benches you made?
>Would you do anything differently? I'm collecting experiences and
>designs for my own construction project.

Well, I think overkill would describe my bench, but I have successfully used
it as a worktable for my motorcycle.  The main things I would change would
be a smaller brace for the storage shelf on the bottom, so that I could slide
things under it for additional storage.  Also, the overhang on the sides (so
I could clamp things to the top) could have been a bit longer (also so I could
tuck things on the sides).  TBD things at this point would be some sort of
universal mount so I can swap my vise, grinder, drill press, etc. to the bench.
It would avoid needing a separate pedestal to hold those things.  And some
cord/air hose hangers and outlets.

Mike