Re: Screwdriving

To: "Ken Landaiche" <ken.landaiche@dlcc.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Screwdriving
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:37:46 -0600
Ken wrote:

>Last week I tried to drive some four inch deck screws into studs to hold
>some 2.5" furring strips. even with pilot holes, I kept getting near the
>end when the bit would slip out of the philips slot and drill it out.
>How do you drive those suckers successfully? The bits were new
>Milwaukees. The drill was an old variable speed Craftsman with no brake.

Ken,
I had the same experience while rebuilding 60 feet of 1 x 4 alternate side
paling fence last spring . . .I finally flung my phillips head screws in the
trash and bought a box of the square drive ones at the builders supply.  I
thought I'd have big problems
with the square drive bits so I bought 4 of then . . . I drove something
like 600 of them with a Milwaukee screwgun and I cannot even measure the
wear on bit number one!

Tony
(gradually removing phillips head screws from my life)