Soldering copper pipes?

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Soldering copper pipes?
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:51:51 -0800

I want to add a utility sink to my garage; the wife gets cranky when I get
greasy stains on the doors as I try to make my way to the bathroom sink.
I've located the water lines to the bathroom sink, and conveniently enough,
can pop through the wall on the other side to hook up the utility sink.
The problem is that the only soldering I've ever done is electrical....

If I understand the procedure right, I need to take some fine sandpaper or
steel wool to clean up both the copper fitting and pipe first.  Then brush
a light coat of flux onto both.  Fit the pipe and fitting together.  Heat
with a propane torch until I can get the solder to wick into the joint.  Let
cool and then clean with a wet rag.  Does this sound correct?  Is there a way
for me to pressure test the joint other than just opening the water supply?
And finally, (although I guess this is pretty important), how do I slip in
the tee fittings?  Is is simply cutting out a small section of the existing
tubing and bending both ends enough to slip in the fitting, or is there a
more elegant solution?

Thanks,
Mike