RE: Soldering copper pipes?

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Soldering copper pipes?
From: Mark Miller <markm@tutsys.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:35:04 -0800
This one I can answer, as someone who hadn't done it until recently so can
give the novice view.  Up till last month I'd only lived in iron piped
houses but moved to a house that had been upgraded to copper.

Your procedure is correct: clean, flux, heat, and wick in the solder.  I
bought a length of tubing and a bag of fittings and figured I'd play with
them until I got it right.  Well, it was only a few minutes. Its really
quite a bit easier than I'd feared.

You can get fittings with stops in them (the tubing will slide in just so
far) or with 'free' insides.  Cut out the correct amount from your existing
tube, clean the ends, and slip on a fitting.  If you can't push the tube
ends apart then the free fitting is the easiest way to go.

Good luck.

Mark Miller