Re: Soldering copper pipes?

To: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Subject: Re: Soldering copper pipes?
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:17:03 -0500
Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing wrote:

> I want to add a utility sink to my garage; the wife gets cranky when I get
> greasy stains on the doors as I try to make my way to the bathroom sink.
> I've located the water lines to the bathroom sink, and conveniently enough,
> can pop through the wall on the other side to hook up the utility sink.
> The problem is that the only soldering I've ever done is electrical....
>
> If I understand the procedure right, I need to take some fine sandpaper or
> steel wool to clean up both the copper fitting and pipe first.  Then brush
> a light coat of flux onto both.  Fit the pipe and fitting together.  Heat
> with a propane torch until I can get the solder to wick into the joint.  Let
> cool and then clean with a wet rag.  Does this sound correct?  Is there a way
> for me to pressure test the joint other than just opening the water supply?
> And finally, (although I guess this is pretty important), how do I slip in
> the tee fittings?  Is is simply cutting out a small section of the existing
> tubing and bending both ends enough to slip in the fitting, or is there a
> more elegant solution?

Mike,

Also get a wire brush to clean the inside of the fittings.  You can buy these
things in a hardware store, usually in 1/2" and 3/4" sizes.  Since you are
installing
a tee in an existing pipe the pipe must be completely dry.  Any left over water
will turn to steam and cause a pin hole in the solder joint.  If you have a
problem
with the water trickling down the pipe try you can use either white bread (no
crust)
or toilet paper  to plug the pipe.  They will stop the trickle of water and
absorb
it long enough for you to get a good joint.  The reason for white bread or
toilet
tissue it that they both will dissolve in water and not clog the pipes up.  Good
luck.

--
Bill Gilroy
E-mail:    wmgilroy@lucent.com