Re: degreasers

To: orion15@usa.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: degreasers
From: Duncan120@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:31:26 EST
In a message dated 1/29/99 4:02:50 PM Central Standard Time, orion15@usa.net
writes:

<<  I have
 heard of many kinds of degreasers, everything from dish soap and water to
 TSP (what is that?).   I've found that gasoline is the best, but if you try
 to spray it from an all purpose spray bottle, it eats away the plastic parts
 and the bottle won't spray anymore.  What's the general opinion on
 degreasers? >>

If you use gasoline stay away from me......... you're just inviting trouble.
TSP is Tri Sodium Phosphate, available at most hardware stores.
Why not rent a pressure washer/steam cleaner for a day ? It will make life so
much easier.
You could soak the small parts in some diluted orange cleaner for a few hours,
the key is to let whatever you use do the work..... DON'T RUSH.  For the real
greasy oily stuff I use carb cleaner---- it's cheap enough but use it
outdoors. The Toluene will give you a nice headache if you are down wind.
A garden hose will do wonders if you get one of those brass caps and drill a
3/16 inch hole in the center and install it on the outlet side while you
connect the inlet side to a hot water faucet. If you want to get elaborate you
can rig up a siphon tube to a gallon jug of Home Despots $4.00 degreaser.
Instant hot pressure washer for the price of a brass cap and 1 ft of tubing if
you already have the hose, some duct tape, and have paid your water bill this
month.

Ron