RE: Reversable 1Hp Electric motor search

To: "'bob bownes'" <rbownes@neworks.net>,
Subject: RE: Reversable 1Hp Electric motor search
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 17:26:05 -0800
Bob :

FYI : Almost all electric motors in this size range are reversible with a
little work (assuming you are willing to stop it between reverses).  Most
of them will be induction motors, with a separate start winding connected
to a relay or centrifugal switch.  To reverse them, you switch the
connections to the start winding.  Sometimes, you will have to pull the
housing apart to bring the connections out (which may not be easy on some
appliance motors), but frequently the connections can be accessed from
outside.

Are you sure you need that much power ?  It's tough to get a real 2hp from
a normal 110v outlet, it usually takes a 20amp circuit and heavy wiring.
 Of course, any washing machine motor will produce 2 Harbor Freight hp !
<g>

Randall