Re: Electrical Outlets

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electrical Outlets
From: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:06:30 -0500
At 04:33 PM 3/17/1999 -0500, you wrote:

I believe that the correct orientation of the ground contact on a normal
3 prong outlet is with the ground "hole" at the BOTTOM.

The reasoning here is that if you look at all the equipment that uses
a transformer for power, you will notice that the ground plug is located
so that when it plugs into the wall the thing sort of "hangs" in the outlet.
Everyone that I have checked (computer scanner, digital camera, power
screwdriver, cell phone, etc. etc.) ALL are designed for the ground "hole"
at the bottom.  If not the thing becomes almost unusable and so unstable
as it perches upside down in the socket, ready to fall out at any time.

My $.02 worth,
Regards,  Nils in Yardley, PA

>On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Tim Mullen wrote:
>> I have a questions for all the knowledgeable list members.
>
>Dunno how knowledgable I am, but I know the answer to this question...  :-)
>

>> I have always installed standard three prong 110V outlets with
>> the ground "hole" on the bottom.  It seemed pretty much standard
>> and universal to me.  Now I'm working in a newly constructed,
>> large building, and all the outlets (except the sideways ones)
>> are mounted with the ground prong opening oriented towards the
>> top.
>
>This is a tip I read somewhere.
>
>The idea is that if something falls on the plug while it's plugged in, it
>will come into contact with the ground electrode first.  It's just a little
>safety thing...
>
>-Andy
>
>72 Pantera - Rocky             91 Miata - Steve                 96 A4Q -
Rudolf
>80 928 - Phantom               97 Miata - Nadia                84 RZ350 -
Sting