Sandblast cabinets

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Sandblast cabinets
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 02:58:01 -0400
  Well, I bought a sandblast cabinet last week from
Princess Auto. Princess Auto is a Canadian chain of
tool and knickknack stores famous for their monthly
sales.

  I have it installed and running, and it seems
to work well.

  Couple of questions from a novice.

  What abrasives should I be using for different
jobs? I bought a bag of sand because it was cheap
and it seems to work really well on the usual surface
rust. I am curious what other abrasives I can
use for different purposes.

  Safety... the sand I bought says "Less than
1% silica-free". Yes, I agree, that doesn't
make grammatical sense, but they seem to be saying
it's a low silica sand. A little bit of dust
escapes around the lid seal during use. What
sort of health concerns and I in for if I
breathe it?

  ...related to the above, what will this dust
do to my other tools and cars parked in
the garage? My compressor air intake is rather
close to the sandblast cabinet now, should I
be concerned?

  Any tips welcome.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.