Re: Shop heat (again)

To: "Robert Bownes" <rbownes@neworks.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shop heat (again)
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 22:28:55 -0600
From: Robert Bownes <rbownes@neworks.net>

>Ok, due to circumstances beyond my control, I now have a brand new gas
>furnace in the house.
>
>And a slightly used 140K BTU oil furnace for the garage...

More than you need if you have proper insulation in the walls and ceiling.

>I need to run a flue pipe through the roof in the garage for the 'new'
>furnace, but I'm kinda leery about hacking holes in the roof. Any
>pointers?

Don't go through the roof if you can help it.  Through the wall is better.
You don't want the stovepipe heating the attic.  You are fond of telling me
how you folks in MY get more snow than we Minnesotans.  You don't want ice
damming backing up your shingles, do you.

I was not stuck with an oil furnace.  :-)

I bit the bullet and bought the Empire through-the-wall heater.  The gas
flame is schematically outside the garage, even though physically inside.

Well, I must admit I was a little hesitant when it came time to cut a
7-1/2-inch hole in the side of my new garage wall...  But I got past that.

Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro (FOR SALE), Saturn SL2, Chev Suburban
LOON, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/