Re: shop heaters

To: "Scott Hall" <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: shop heaters
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 22:38:50 -0600
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
To: shop-talk@autox.team.net <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Wednesday, November 03, 1999 6:41 PM
Subject: shop heaters

>reading about shop heaters brought a question to mind:
>
>I know people put gas heaters in their garage, but how?  I'm looking at
>the gas heaters advertised in the harbor freight catalog (it gets cold
>even in florida)

Yeah, right.

>and the price looks right, but a _gas_fired_ heater in
>the same room as gasoline fumes?  do other people do this?
>
>I know someone on this list (in minnesota, istr) just did this and I think
>it was a 'direct vent heater' or something like that.

That's me.  Yes.  Empire brand direct-vent.  Got the idea from a guy in New
York, I think.

> is this kind not
>able to ignite vapors?

Right.  The gas flame only contact outside air, not inside air.  The air
enters the combustion chamber through the outside part of a concentric
double tube.  The exhaust gasses exit through the inside tube.  Thus only
one 7-3/4"  hole need be cut through the wall.

>or does some other kind safe for use in a garage?
>and if so, how?

Well, I am sure that there are other methods that are safe enough.  I just
wanted to completely divorce the combustion process from my shop area.
After years of a kerosene torpedo heater in an uninsulated garage, I had had
enough.  50 degrees all winter.  No more condensation.  No more frozen
tools.  I'm going to like this.

>thanks
>
>scott, who'd like to keep warm, but doesn't want to be on fire

A worthy objective.

Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro (FOR SALE), Saturn SL2, Chev Suburban
LOON, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/