Re: remote car starters

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: remote car starters
From: Scott Backer <sbacker@linkny.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 02:47:49 -0500
On Sun, 7 Nov 1999 22:12:59 -0500, Eric J Petrevich wrote:
> [...]
Yes. On the remote starter I have there is a timed relay just for the
glow plugs.

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999 22:39:36 -0500 , Lin, Gary wrote:
> [...]
Yes. You put the key into the ignition and turn it to the "on"
position.

On Sun, 07 Nov 1999 19:59:15 -0800, Tim Mullen wrote:
> [...]

In New York The definition for unattended includes the doors being
unlocked. The remote starters will work with the doors locked, in
fact, if you have power locks they can be locked when the car starts.
That way if you did not lock them the night before, they will lock
themselves. The remote starters are set up so that the vehicle will
shut off if the shift lever is moved or the brake pedal is depressed
before the key is put into the ignition and turned to the "on"
position. Unless the neighbor kid comes into the house, gets the key
and turns the ignition switch to "on", the car is not going to move.
The remote starter manufacturers would be sued for way too many
dollars to let that happen.

As a side note, I am sure that more than a few of our wife's cars will
never spend the night in the garage as they had planned after getting
a house with a garage. For this reason I installed a remote starter in
my wife's car before last winter. Now she never has to scrape the
windows or complains about not being able to park in the garage, which
is full of more 'important' projects. The better starters have
features such as starting you car for 10 minutes every hour if the
outside temperature (10 degrees?) or battery voltage (10 v?) drops
below a certain point. They can also be set up to start the car at the
same time every morning without you having to do anything. Or they can
just be used to start the car with a push of the button.

Scott A. Backer
106 Walnut Street
Penn Yan, NY 14527-1329
Home 315.536.0432