Re: OK, then...whose ratchets?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OK, then...whose ratchets?
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:04:56 -0600

I've been very happy with my Craftsman Pro ratchet, but last night I was in
a parking lot as the Snap-On man was boarding his truck so on an impulse I
stopped him and bought a 3/8" drive ratchet. My first impression was that
it was a little more solid than my Craftsman but lacked the quick-release
button and seemed to have a coarse mechanism.

That impression changed this morning when I got to the office and held both
the Craftsman and the Snap-On at the same time and actually tried them out.
Conclusion? The Snap-On really is much nicer. The mechanism is 'tight'- the
ratchet teeth feel stronger, the socket (a Craftsman socket) fit onto the
drive square more tightly, and it doesn't feel coarse even though I think
it has 30 teeth versus the Craftsman's 36. The lack of a quick release
isn't the issue I thought it would be- the socket snapped right off with no
fuss, which I can't say about my imported air-ratchet.

The Snap-On was between 2-3 times more expensive than the comparable
Craftsman Professional model, but I'm glad I bought it.

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com