Re: OK, then...whose ratchets?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OK, then...whose ratchets?
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 21:12:24 -0500
I haven't seen those but I have a half dozen pair of Knipex pliers.  I've
actually managed to wear a couple of them out.  And my big dykes have a
loose slip joint.  Coincidentally, all three pairs are Matco logo-ed so I
_really_ need to catch the Matco truck...   ;-)

At 03:54 PM 12/23/99 ,  Tw Cook was inspired to say:

>Speaking of crescent wrenches, I recently picked up a Knipex "plier-wrench"
>which I now use where I used to use a crescent. There's a good photo of it
>at http://www.knipex.de/index-e.htm along with a little video clip if you
>click on the head of the pliers. It is a little weird, but once you get the
>hang of it, they are extremely quick to adjust and the grip is pretty good,
>and the flat sides tend to not damage fasteners.  I found out about Knipex
>from a friend who recommended their Cobra "water pump pliers". These look
>like a channel lock but are actually rather different in practice. The jaws
>are extremely hard and will dig into anything, and the geometry is such that
>turning pushes them tighter, so they'll actually turn stuff that vise grips
>won't. I've found them extremely useful for taking apart things that don't
>want to be taken apart.  MSC carries them, among others.

Cheers!