Re: Tap and Die set

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tap and Die set
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 02:06:09 -0600
Kyle asked:
> Can anyone give me a recomendation for a Tap and Die set.  I looked at
Sears
> and I only saw Highspeed steel and I am not sure how that would hold up.
> would spend about $100 to $200 for a set.  I do not need a huge set but
one
> that would cover most auto repairs (mostly my 74 TR6).

I get along okay with an old Sears set  . . don't use it THAT often,  but
it's a necessity . . My biggest gripe with all sets is the lousy handles for
both taps and dies . . .  It's near impossible to get a good straight start
with either.   I try to get anything I'm threading either on the drill press
or the lathe but  I bet there is some sort of manual method that beats what
I've been doing.    A  l--o--n--g   bodied tap handle would give better
control, donno how to help the die handle.

Tony______________________lotus.tony@airmail.net

internally clamped on the drill press table so I can start the tap by
HAND-TURNING the tap secured in the chuck.   I used a variable-speed drill
to thread a bunch of holes in aluminum once but broke a tap and
"smooth-bored" a couple of holes..gotta be a better way.