Re: Safety question

To: "Shop Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Safety question
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 01:39:19 -0600
Gordon worried:

> All this talk about shop layout has brought up a question in my mind. If
> you have both welding equipment and a solvent tank (parts cleaner) in
> your shop, how much space do you keep between them? Are fumes a concern?

Space, safe solvents, welding area screening and a lot of awareness can
prevent most scary happenings.....Less expected is the hazard of grinding
sparks . . . I've seen disc grinder sparks travel 20 feet
and light off a open container of gasoline carelessly left open . . . Even
less expected, a grinder spark very accurately entered a new battery being
given an initial charge . . .the caps off.  The resultant hydrogen gas
explosion blew the battery and acid all over the where!

Tony______________________lotus.tony@airmail.net