Re: Brakes and Broken stuff

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brakes and Broken stuff
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 20:01:33 -0500
At 11:01 PM 1/1/00 -0500, Eric J Petrevich wrote:

>Well, tonight I tried to replace the brakes (and rotors) on the SO's car.
>(Chevy Lumina)  The drivers side went fine.  when I did the passenger side,
>I hit a snag.  The bolt for the rotor (a T-60 star bolt) would NOT let go.
>Now first off, the bolt needs to be accessed from the inside, so an impact
>wrench is not an option.  I pulled out the breaker bar and went to town.
>Then, the cheater bar on the breaker.  Then, the SOCKET snapped.  Hit me in
>the mouth and chipped my tooth.

Sorry to hear about your tooth Inch.  I broke 2 Torx sockets trying to remove
the bolts for the seat belts in my Bricklin.  The 1st one I broke with my
impact wrench, the 2nd one I broke like you did, a breaker bar, that a 4'
cheater bar on top of that.  Ended up having to grind off the nut and plate
the bolt went to from the back side.  What a bummer - about 3 hr. per bolt and
I had 4 bolts :(   I know you can't use this option.

Are you sure you can't get the front end in the air, and come at it from
under the car with the impact wrench, and possibly a flex joint.  I've done
this many times on some of my cars.

>How do I loosen this nut.  (should I use the "fire wrench" that close to
>the brakes?)

Spray with some loose juice - wd40 - PB blaster, etc and wait a while and
hit it again with the loose juice.  Then put the T-60 socket into the bolt
and hit the end of the socket with a Big F$*#$ing hammer (BFH).  Then try
to loosen it again.  I'd try this a couple of times before I resorted to
the heat.  But you should be able to use some heat if you can really control
the direction and NOT burn the flex line.  You might want to remove the
flex line, and have a fire extingusher handy.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org