Covering fiberglass insulation in attic?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Covering fiberglass insulation in attic?
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 16:48:40 -0800

With the bad weather here, everything that had been in tucked away under the
deck and in the crawl space has found it's way into the garage.  This is posing
a problem with actually getting anything done in the garage (we won't mention
trying to actually store a vehicle in the garage....).  So I'm looking around,
and I spy a good amount of space in the garage attic.  Should be a reasonable
storage area; the garage is heated since it used to be a sales office, so things
are nice and warm and dry.

Since I don't know the correct terms, I'll just try to describe what things
look like up there.  There are some horizontal 2x4's (or 6's) that form the
"floor" of the attic.  Drywall is nailed to the bottom of these to form the
ceiling of the garage.  Up above, there are some more 2x4's (or 6's) that
shoot up at an angle to form the roof of the garage.  Between these pieces
of wood are big bats of fiberglass insulation.  Is it okay to put a sheet
of plastic over this wood/fiberglass insulation?  I'm worried that I might
be doing a no-no and trapping moisture in there.  But I want something up
to block any chance of fiberglass bits falling into whatever I've got stored
up there (I've got a slight sensitivity to it), plus I'd rather not breathe
in little bits 'o 'glass dust while mucking around up.  Just curious if
anyone knew if this was okay to do.  BTW, this is in the Pacific Northwet,
so it get pretty damp out here....

Thanks,
Mike