Re: Covering fiberglass insulation in attic?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Covering fiberglass insulation in attic?
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 16:42:06 -0800
Guys,

Sorry for disappearing after sending the mail; d*mn work gets in the way
sometimes....
About the insulation; yes, the fiberglass is on the angled underside of the
roof (the
rafters?), and not the flat top of the sheetrock (joists?) which separate the
attic
from the garage below.  There is no kraft paper covering the insulation.  I
don't know
what the norm is, but from the sounds of your reactions, this appears to be, um,
unconventional...

The garage itself is heated =8^), what with the furnace and water heater in
there,
and does have it's own heating/ac ducts.  The temps don't get too low here (OR),
but there is a lot of humidity and moisture, what with the constant rain.  It
sounds
as though putting up plastic sheeting to cover the fiberglass is generally a
no-no,
and likely some sort of fire code violation, but the kraft paper sounds like a
good
idea; it will at least keep the 'glass dust from coming down.  I'm using some
old
paneling I got from a co-worker to go across the joists and form a floor.  I
know
the stuff isn't the strongest, but when nailed into the joists with only a 6"
unsupport spread, it seems sturdy enough to walk around on w/o a lot of give.

Mike