RE: Batt. cutoff switch

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Batt. cutoff switch
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 21:34:55 -0500
Randall,

  This is a hot topic on both the shop-talk and land-speed lists tonite.  I
know what you mean about disconnecting the positive lead without also
shutting off the alternators field lead.  I "saw the light" as I melted
every light bulb in the car down to their ceramic base and fried an electric
fuel pump when my alternator lost it's reference source.  The solution is to
disconnect both the positive wire (neg ground system) and the field wire to
the alternator with the cut-off switch.  No field current = no magnetic
field in the rotor and zero current production.

Chuck "Do you smell something burning?" Rothfuss
East Coast Timing Association #9
Pole Cat Hollow, NC