RE: Batt. cutoff switch

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Batt. cutoff switch
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:19:43 -0800

That will work on _some_ alternators, although I'd still want to disconnect
the field connection first, wait for the magnetic field to decay, and only
then disconnect the alternator output.

BUT, most modern alternators get their excitation current directly, inside
the alternator !  Unless you modify the wiring inside the alternator,
nothing you do outside will disable it without harming it.

Why do you want to disconnect the battery from a running engine, anyway ?

Randall