Re: "Welding " stainless

To: roger <rkorn@europa.com>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "Welding " stainless
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:37:32 -0700
roger wrote:

> Where do you get this rod? I'd like to try it.
>
> Roger
>
> Douglas Shook wrote:
>
> > ...I took your advice, and brazed it using a Blue Demon LFBFC (low
> > fuming, bronze flux coated) rod...
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > doug

Hi Roger and list,

I bought them from McMaster-Carr, but now that I look at the
catalogue, they are listed under "Gas Welding Rod -- Low-Fuming
Flux-Coated Bronze", so as stupid as I may sound, I guess I did
weld it instead of brazing it.

To be honest, this was my first effort to weld anything with this
oxygen/acetylene torch, and I do not know what I am doing
(obviously), but was able to successfully weld, or braze, or
whatever I actually did, the stainless steel fender.

I have been riding it for a week, and it is holding up fine under
the very severe vibrations of this 280lb, 600cc single cylinder
BSA (it vibrates enough to blur one's vision at different RPM. :)

I hate to sound so ignorant, but maybe someone could explain the
difference between gas welding and gas brazing, and perhaps
explain to me just what I did do -- sheesh, I know this sounds
pathetic....

doug