Re: Speaking of codes...

To: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Subject: Re: Speaking of codes...
From: epetrevich@relavis.com
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:11:05 -0400

The product that "learns" your usage is part of the "Active Home" home
automation software.  It works thought a "macro module" so you don't need
to have your computer on to have it running.
I biggest problems with X10 so far are noisy lights (only when dimmed) and
the fact that I need to program the lights to "dim to 0%" instead of
shutting off.  That is the only way to "ramp up" a light.

In the shop, I have a 1 ton light that works on the X10 "heavy duty
appliance" switch.  It can handle up to 30 amps. (the lift draws about
10amps)

There are also motion lights that can send x10 signals.  SO I have a
doorbell that rings BEFORE anyone outside presses the button.

Inch
mailto:epetrevich@relavis.com

                    Richard Beels

                    <beels@technologist.        To:
shop-talk@autox.team.net
                    com>                        cc:

                    Sent by:                    Subject:     Re: Speaking of
codes...
                    shop-talk-owner@auto

                    x.team.net

                    09/24/00 01:28 PM

                    Please respond to

                    Richard Beels

x10 sure is great.  I moved to PA almost 2 years ago and have started
x10'ing the house.  Having a remote control for the lights has been very
useful.

Couple tips about buying from x10.com (and x10.com in general)....

Buy something from them and you get an email every day with their daily
"you must act now" specials.  Don't act now, the specials get better and
are almost always honored after they expire.
Goto x10.com and buy the "firecracker" package as many times as you
can.  It's the best deal going.  I ordered it in my name at my new address,

wife's name at our old address, in-laws at their house, etc...  The package

is free + shipping/handling and you get a transceiver (really only need one

of them) a couple lamp modules and a remote control.  I now have remote
controls for all floors, basement and garage.
Also, get the RCA close-out sale package.  It's $50 but includes a dozen
pieces.  2 of which are keychain remotes - Deb & I use those to turn on the

garage lights so we don't have to turn on all lights when we leave in the
middle of the day and won't be home until night.
The video cameras do work but wait for a sale, they go on sale every couple

months.
x10 also has a "voucher" system where they'll give you an increasing value
voucher when you spend more money.  They also have a special every couple
months that gives you $40 to start out with.
If you just miss a special (before or after), call the 800# and you should
be able to convince the rep to give you the discount.

Inch: What's the product that learns your usage?  I haven't seen that
one....

At 10:24 9/22/2000,  epetrevich@relavis.com was inspired to say:

>Sorry, I forgot that X-10 isn't that popular yet.
>
>First off, a great place to start is http://www.x10.com  If you live near
>Radio Shack, they carry it as well.
>
>x10 is a standard transceiver language that works on existing AC wires in
>your home.  It allows you to control any outlet or fixture from any other
>point in the home.  It basically is a "home automation" solution without
>the need to rewire the whole house.

Cheers!