RE: Tool Chest Choices...

To: "'Richard Beels'" <beels@technologist.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tool Chest Choices...
From: "Gerald J. Brazil" <gerrybraz@voyager.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:16:46 -0500
I've found that 98% of the time HF stuff is worth what you pay for it.

Another alternative if you like to check out used office furniture stores or
auctions are the cabinets formerly used for the old IBM cards. All you need
to do is cut a piece of stiff cardboard to cover the dust slot in the bottom
of each drawer. These can be bought for $40 to $100, depending on how lucky
you are. They hold more stuff than the typical tool chest. A word of caution
though, if you want to put wheels on one, build  a heavy plywood base that
goes inside the bottom of the cabinet and get HEAVY DUTY STEEL WHEELS  for
it. You will be surprised how heavy this gets when loaded with tools. On my
first try I used HD rubber wheels and the first time I tried to move it
found that they were square across the bottom.