Re: Tool Chest Choices...

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tool Chest Choices...
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 19:15:52 -0500
Richard,

   How about used, from a pawn shop or the local Snap-on, Cornwell or Mac
dealer?  Mechanics are always upgrading their boxes to get a bigger or
better one, and when we retire, lots of guys sell off the stuff, cheap, to
finance a retirement vacation.  Guy that works to the left of me has a $5600
Snap-on box -as big as my car- that he won't have paid off til he's eligible
for social security.  The guy who works on my right bought his old box for
about half it's original price.

   Me?  I'm working out of the same crappy Stack-on machinists chest that
I've had for 20 years.  It's got add-on Craftsman long tool holders and
storage cabinets hanging all over it, and it ain't pretty.  It is, however,
tightly packed with beautiful tools, and I know exactly where everything is.

   How about $20 a week with no interest?  That's how we all deal with our
local Snap-on vendor. (We've got an even better deal going with another
vendor, same deal, but he hasn't shown up to collect for 6 weeks!)  Get a
used box for a fair price and it'd be tough to beat that kinda payment deal.

Chuck Rothfuss
Live or die by flat-rate
Pole Cat Hollow, NC