Re: Masonite

To: nogera@juno.com
Subject: Re: Masonite
From: Roger Korn <rkorn@europa.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:56:28 -0800
Masonite is a urea-phenolic-wood-chip board. You want the 1/8"
double-sided-tempered grade. The stuff with the shiny-side and the matt-side
is not nearly so water-resistant, hence warps easier. You can attached fabric
to it with spray-on contact cement (3M99 is good).

1. Apply a heavy coat of 3M99 to the Masonite.

2. Roll the fabric into glue, peel it back immediately and let both surfaces
    (Masonite and cloth) dry for 5 minutes - until no longer tacky!

3. Pin the fabric to shape on the floor.

4. Lay the Masonite on the floor, contact-cement side of the board up.
    Cover with a piece of butcher paper. It won't stick if the cement is dry.

5. Turn it over onto the (pinned-out-to-shape) fabric and pull out the
butcher paper
    slip sheet.

6. Roll fabric into the Masonite, trim, you're done!

One caveat: check out the auto upholstery supply folks - they may have an
even better contact cement for attaching upholstery.

Hope this helps,
Roger