Re: Masonite

To: nogera@juno.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Masonite
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:15:54 -0500
>I have had " Masonite" recommended to me  as a good product to use for
>the backing on a car interior.  Happy to find a solution to my quest I
>stopped in my tracks when I realized that while I have heard about
>"Masonite " all my life I have never seen anything actually labeled
>"Masonite". I've always thought of it as that dark brown press board with
>a shiny side and a matt side that comes in 4X8 sheets.
>Question : What is Masonite ?  ( am I right about the brown board?)
>
>and for  Extra Credit:  will it work well as a Door panel or does it warp
>??

Bob,

   You are correct about Masonite.  I've used it for years
for doing door panels.  Most large hardware stores carry it.
When you go to get some, check to see if they have any
that is water resistant.  I forget what it is called.  But
it uses a better glue.

    It can warp, but that is usually for 2 reasons, 1 - age
and 2 - moisture.  That's why I said to look for water
resistant glue.  I've had panels that I've done for car
that were 10 year old and had not warped.  But if you get
5 years or so out of a panel, what do you want for $10! :)

   Another method is to use 1/8" plywood and then something
like West System Epoxy to coat the plywood so it doesn't
rot.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org