Re: Lincoln Floor Jacks

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lincoln Floor Jacks
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 00:12:41 -0600
>I've always maintained that when buying tools (or anything really) you buy
>a "good" one if it will receive lots of use , will receive hard use or is a
>precision tool (impact gun,

I have a different perspective.  I bought a cheap impact wrench from
Menards.  Treat it like dirt.  If it ever craps out, I will buy another one.
I have abused it for about 7 years, and it is still taking it.  For thirty
bucks, I can't complain.

>When it comes to other tools like Vice-grips
>...I'd rather pay the $3 for a knock-off that
>works 95% as well.

No way.  Stanley or Vise-Grip.  The cheapos are real pain to work with and I
regret every one that I have.  I have fewer of them now, because once in a
while I fling one into the trash barrel.  I often use a Vise-Grip where I
really need all the help I can get, and crummy adjuster screws and fall-out
levers and un-hardened  jaws are too damned irritating to put up with.

>One more thing, you don't need to send me a personal copy of the mail when
>you send it to the list.  I'm on this list and will get the one sent to the
>list.  Don't need two copies....   :-)

If you want to send me two copies, I don't care.  I know that many of you
are used to other lists that have digests, and I don't care if you don't
want to keep it straight.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.