Re: 100- or 200-amp service for shop?

To: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Subject: Re: 100- or 200-amp service for shop?
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:00:39 -0800
> Lights: 20-80A (i ahve 40A worth of fluoresc in my 23x23...I like a lot of
> light!)

Hi,

You certainly must like a lot of light -- 40 amps is 8,800 watts
of fluorescent power, or roughly 220 40 watt fluorescent tubes
burning at the same time (100 amp service is 100 amps at 220VAC,
or 22,000 watts -- this is a lot of power).

I would have to assume that you are stating amps at 110VAC, still
that would be 110 40 watt tubes -- this seem mighty bright to me,
no? I know that the tubes and ballast will draw more than 40
watts, but my point is still the same.

> compressor: 20A
> table saw: 14A
> radial saw: 10A
> dust collect: 14A
> Heat: 30-100A
> Cool: same
> Radio: 0.5A

Well, yes, but what are the chances of running the compressor,
saw, AC, heat, etc. all at the same time?

Although I probably would install 200 amp service if you are
using a bunch of electrical heaters, have an electrical water
heater, large air conditioners, electrical range, etc., most home
shops will draw way less than 100 amps at any moment (unless you
are using your saw to cut the air hoses off your compressor while
it is running, and are welding something while both the air
conditioner and heater are running simultaneously!!  :)

If it is only a $100 or so additional for the 200 amp service, I
probably would still do it, but it most likely would be overkill.
But it will never hurt to have excess capacity...

doug

///
///