Re: 100- or 200-amp service for shop?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 100- or 200-amp service for shop?
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:09:18 -0800
On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 11:00:39AM -0800, Douglas Shook wrote:

> If it is only a $100 or so additional for the 200 amp service, I
> probably would still do it, but it most likely would be overkill.
> But it will never hurt to have excess capacity...

It probably depends- you might need a bigger gauge wire to feed the
bigger panel.  If you have to make a long run of it, that might add up
as big wire's not cheap.  Still, I'd be tempted to do it myself as it's
cheaper than an upgrade later.

I have a question though.  Say that you're putting in a 100 or 200 amp
panel in the shop, and running it back to the main panel next to the
meter.  (I have a main panel on the pole where the lines go for overhead
to underground to the house, but that's cause I live in the woods).
If the meter panel is 200 amps and you have that used up already between
house and well, do you need a 300 or 400 amp main breaker instead of
the 200 amp one, in addition to the shop panel?  Who installs that,
the electrician working on the shop, or the electrical co?

--
  Eric Murray           Consulting Security Architect         SecureDesign LLC
  http://www.securedesignllc.com                            PGP keyid:E03F65E5

///