Re: heating my new garage/shop (long)

To: "Richard White" <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: heating my new garage/shop (long)
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:21:32 -0600
>The archives seems to suggest that radiant
>heat in the floor to keep things at a reasonable level, 40s to 50s,
>and a forced air system to bring it up to comfortable.

A shop heated to 50 via a warm floor would BE comfortable.  I keep my shop
at 50 and I don't have a floor warmer.  Working out there is just fine.  If
you do any work at all, you warm up fast.

I have heard from folks with the warm-floor method.  They love it.  My
garage expansion worked out so that most of my shop floor is the original
garage floor, so in-floor heat was not really practical.  But if you are
pouring a new slab for your shop, go for it.

>Does anyone have a setup similar to this in a climate
>like we have in central Illinois?  Is this going to require a second
>job to pay for the heat?

No.  Properly-insulated, kept at 50 and don't open the door often, it is
quite inexpensive, at least with natural gas hereabouts.  I don't think it
is a significant cost compared to heating my house.  More windows, people
coming and going, exhaust fans on now and again.

Be sure to keep the roof cold if you get snow.  Ice-damming really screws up
your shingles.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.

///
///