Pipe dope vs. Teflon(r) tape

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pipe dope vs. Teflon(r) tape
From: "Keith Kaplan" <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:22:38 -0700
Basic plumbing question -- what are the relative advantages of pipe dope
versus Teflon tape?  Is one good for water and the other for natural
gas, or maybe one for PVC and one for black pipe?  What would be best
for compressed air lines?  I've always used tape for the nipples on air
tools and hoses, but is dope better?  Is dope cheaper but tape is less
messy?  Everywhere I've read seems to refer to them as if they're
interchangeable, but surely there's a difference.

keithka
95 Miata, 63 Elva FJr.

///