Re: Pipe dope vs. Teflon(r) tape

To: keithka@microsoft.com
Subject: Re: Pipe dope vs. Teflon(r) tape
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:12:11 -0400 (EDT)
I don't know about tape vs dope, but I do know that white tape is not
for use on natural gas.  There is a yellow tape for that.  I've always
(in the past) though used tape on any non-gas joints and dope on gas
joints.  I'm sure compressed air would be happy with tape or dope.  I
suspect dope is cheaper and older technology.  OK, I _know_ it's older
technology, but I suspect it is cheaper.  For as much plumbing as I
do, it probably doesn't matter.

Donald.

> Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:22:38 -0700
> From: "Keith Kaplan" <keithka@microsoft.com>
>

> Basic plumbing question -- what are the relative advantages of pipe dope
> versus Teflon tape?  Is one good for water and the other for natural
> gas, or maybe one for PVC and one for black pipe?  What would be best
> for compressed air lines?  I've always used tape for the nipples on air
> tools and hoses, but is dope better?  Is dope cheaper but tape is less
> messy?  Everywhere I've read seems to refer to them as if they're
> interchangeable, but surely there's a difference.

///