Re: Pipe dope vs. Teflon(r) tape

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pipe dope vs. Teflon(r) tape
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:52:44 -0400
At 05:22 PM 8/16/01 -0700, Keith Kaplan wrote:

>Basic plumbing question -- what are the relative advantages of pipe dope
>versus Teflon tape?  Is one good for water and the other for natural
>gas, or maybe one for PVC and one for black pipe?  What would be best
>for compressed air lines?  I've always used tape for the nipples on air
>tools and hoses, but is dope better?  Is dope cheaper but tape is less
>messy?  Everywhere I've read seems to refer to them as if they're
>interchangeable, but surely there's a difference.

Keith,

  Sounds like you answered your own question:
   "Dope is cheaper but tape is less messy? "   :)

Actually that's a good question.  I'm waiting to hear the answer, as
I really don't know, but couldn't resist the comment.

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org