Re: Paint removal, wood house trim

To: "Brian Kennedy" <kennedybc@mediaone.net>,
Subject: Re: Paint removal, wood house trim
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:43:00 -0500
From: Brian Kennedy <kennedybc@mediaone.net>

>The guy that looks after our rental property says he doesn't do pressure
>wash any more before painting on wood. He thinks the water soaks into the
>wood too much and the paint peels prematurely. He just scrapes away.

Bob whats-his-name, the old-house guru from Rock Island, Illinois, says that
pressure-washing cedar clapboards knocks all the "pith" out of the wood, and
therefore destroys its natural decay-resistance.  I suspect it doesn't do
any kind of wood much good.  So don't blast the pith out of your wood.

Better use for pressure-washing:  My next-door neighbor moved in to a house
where the previous owners kept dogs in the basement (at least they were not
fouling my yard).  Pretty rank.  He and his father-in-law tested the floor
drain, and finding it working well, proceeded to pressure wash the entire
basement.

"Sometimes a man's gotta do what a woman would never consider."
- Red Green

///