Re: Paint removal, wood house trim

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Paint removal, wood house trim
From: Richard Welty <rwelty@suespammers.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:01:48 -0400
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:43:00 -0500, you wrote:

>From: Brian Kennedy <kennedybc@mediaone.net>

>>The guy that looks after our rental property says he doesn't do pressure
>>wash any more before painting on wood. He thinks the water soaks into the
>>wood too much and the paint peels prematurely. He just scrapes away.
>
>Bob whats-his-name, the old-house guru from Rock Island, Illinois, says that
>pressure-washing cedar clapboards knocks all the "pith" out of the wood, and
>therefore destroys its natural decay-resistance.  I suspect it doesn't do
>any kind of wood much good.  So don't blast the pith out of your wood.

i wasn't quite paying attention this thread; i may have similar
issues.

our house is about 10 years old, with cedar siding. some years after
the previous idiot, er, owner, built it, he decided to paint it in his
inimitable style. the front is still natural, but the back and parts
of the sides are now painted badly. the paint is fading, and in all
likelyhood there was no primer under it.

any way to get the paint off outside of outwaiting it?

richard

///