Re: Paint removal, wood house trim

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Paint removal, wood house trim
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:58:20 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Mark J Bradakis

> As winter approaches here in the northern hemisphere, I'm considering
doing
> some of the outside house trim painting I've been putting off for too
long.
> A fair bit of it is flaking and peeling, so I doubt it will protect the
wood
> from the winter snows.  What's a good way to remove the old stuff before
> applying new stuff?  Belt sander, heat gun, pressure washer, chemicals, or
??

Reciprocating sander, rotary wire brush and nine kinds of scraping.  The
scary part is that the REMAINING paint is pretty likely to start the peeling
and flaking very soon.  There's a product by Pittsburgh Paint which sure can
save a bunch of grief . . It's "Rez Permanizer Plus"  It's purpose is to
seal down the paint remaining after diligent sanding/scraping to prevent
future flaking/peeling.  It's a clear undercoat made to be topcoated with
water-based stains or paints.   I did a flaky, peeling fence with it 3 years
ago and there's nary a peel sofar.  It's over 30 bucks a gallon but an
'elluvadeal if you hate scraping like I hate scraping.

Tony

///