Re: Welding & WTC

To: david rann <drann4@home.com>
Subject: Re: Welding & WTC
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 23:03:01 -0700
david rann wrote:
> The engineers could play with numbers
> for months or longer to come up with no economical alternative. I doubt that
> a riveted structure could have withstood such an assault. Surely in the
> future these considerations will be considered in building design, but the
> "Capitalists" will be hard pressed to pay extra for public safety.

One of the news bites I heard during the disaster was that the original
architect had commented that the structure was designed to withstand a
direct hit from a commercial aircraft.  I wonder what happened ?  Did he
not account for the burning fuel, or is it just that jets have gotten
bigger ?

Randall

///