Re: Welding & WTC

To: "Richard Beels" <beels@technologist.com>
Subject: Re: Welding & WTC
From: "david rann" <drann4@home.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 22:31:08 -0600
> I read that the WTC buildings were welded rather than riveted.

I admit that I have not hung any iron in 10 years, and in the 15 years prior
had never seen a riveted connection. But might I also add,  welded
connections are extremely rare in structural steel. The overwhelming
majority of structural steel connections are today performed with bolts.

The planes chosen for this task were fueled to fly across the country, thus
supplying sufficient heat for a sustained period to cause failure of all
supporting members in the vicinity. The engineers could play with numbers
for months or longer to come up with no economical alternative. I doubt that
a riveted structure could have withstood such an assault. Surely in the
future these considerations will be considered in building design, but the
"Capitalists" will be hard pressed to pay extra for public safety.
Dave

///