Another electrical question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Another electrical question
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:02:59 EST
I just bought a house with a nice size garage and shop.  The garage needs
work that will have to wait til spring.  A few quick electrical questions to
keep me planning.

The house has 200 amp service, with 60 amp service run from the main box to
the detached garage.  There is a small electrical box in the garage with room
for about 6 (maybe 8) breakers.  (I think.)  This should be adequate, but the
rest of the wiring in the garage is a big mess.  I will be removing all the
wires and installing all new wires, outlets, boxes, switches, flourescent
lights, etc., after I install the insulation and before I put in the
paneling.  I have heard that wood paneling is better in a garage than
drywall, and putting it up with screws allows easy access later, if
necessary.  Sounds like a plan!

Finally, my question.  I just want to make sure, so I don't make any
misteaks.  If I use 20 amp breakers, I should be using 12 g. wire, correct?
Also, how many outlets should be on a breaker?  I don't want to overload the
circuits, although I will only be able to use one or two tools at a time, and
I'm sure there are guidelines for this.  I am not an electrician, but I have
a good basic knowledge here.

I will put the compressor on it's own breaker and split the lights up on two
or three breakers.  I may actually need a bigger breaker box to accomodate
the garage and shop.

Jon R., you are pretty good with this kinda stuff.  Maybe you can visit
sometime in the spring and look over my shoulder.

TIA,

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget