Re: Another electrical question

To: "Steven Trovato" <trovato@computer.net>, <LBC286@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Another electrical question
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 23:09:09 -0600
>"The NEC does not specify the maximum number of receptacle outlets or
>lighting outlets that may be connected to one 120 volt lighting or small
>appliance branch circuit in a residence.  It may seem to be ridiculous and
>illogical that 10, 20 or more receptacle outlets and lighting outlets can
>be connected to one branch-circuit and not be in violation of the
>Code.  Consider the fact, however that having many "convenience"
>receptacles is "safer" because many receptacle outlets will virtually
>eliminate the use of extension cords, one of the most frequent causes of
>electrical fires.  Rarely, if ever, would all receptacle outlets and
>lighting outlets be fully loaded at the same time.  There is much diversity
>of load in residential occupancies."

Of course.  Put outlets in your shop every two studs or so.  You can never
have too many.  Not only do I have a lot of wall outlets (48 inches off the
floor), I have an outlet in the base of each of the ceiling fixtures.  If
you stand on a milk case (didn't you know that my whole shop design is base
on milk cases?) and plug a battery charger into the ceiling, you needn't
worry about walking into the cord as you walk around the car.

///